A Career at Walsh Duffield
Walsh Duffield is a fifth-generation family-owned insurance agency that has been serving the needs of businesses and individuals since 1860. With offices in Buffalo, Rochester and Medina, NY, Walsh Duffield is committed to the prosperity and growth of our employees, clients, partners and the communities we live in. Our associates embody our key values (integrity, teamwork, wellness, performance, innovation) and contribute to an inclusive culture that guides our behaviors, actions and connections within our agency. With a focus on overall wellbeing, Walsh Duffield offers employees a comprehensive benefits package and an array of opportunities for growth and development.
Client Relationship Manager (Includes Surety and Claims)
Division: Commercial Division
Reports to/Department: Vice President, Commercial Division
FLSA Job Classification: Exempt (Full-Time)
Location: Buffalo or Rochester, NY
Salary Range: $70,000 – $90,000 – based on experience
The primary purpose of this job is to service the Property and Casualty insurance programs for assigned clients of the Commercial Insurance Division.
Agency specific training will be provided.
- Maintains and enhances WD’s relationships with existing clients by executing proactive, creative, and ongoing contact initiatives.
- Works at a strategic level with mid and senior-level client team members and may coordinate daily administrative activities with the customer service team, and independently provides support to an assigned group of clients.
- Has the knowledge and experience needed to support the producers/client relationship executives.
- Has cross-selling responsibilities.
- May assist in preparing RFP responses.
- Provides guidance, coaching, and mentoring to client service coordinators and client relationship associates.
- Cross train as needed.
- Adhere to the stated expectations of the E&O Plus Quality Management Program.
- Set priorities and manage workflow for customers, including independently analyzing contracts, quoting additional coverages and binding coverage.
- Keep informed of industry information, new product information, coverage and technology to continuously improve knowledge and stay current.
- Interact with others effectively by utilizing good communication skills; cooperate positively and provide information and guidance as needed to contribute to the business efforts of the agency.
- Maintain required and additional continuing education for license and professional designations.
- Independently develop account information through continued contact with client, which includes collecting and analyzing client insurance needs.
- Determine which insurance products best meet the client’s insurance needs and advise the client regarding the advantages and disadvantages of coverage options.
- Review policy terms and conditions and make independent determination with respect to appropriateness of insurance coverage.
- Maintain solid customer relationships by handling questions and concerns with efficiency and professionalism.
- Actively solicit increases in coverage or rounding out accounts through sales to clients at every service contact.
- Analyze exposures and recommend coverage and risk management techniques that meet clients’ needs. Educate clients on coverage terms, conditions, limitations and insurance solutions.
- Market, propose and complete applications for insurance coverage. Prepare analysis of client’s programs.
- Independently develop a thorough understanding of insurance carriers’ business preferences as well as industry changes and determine which markets to approach for new business and how best to approach them based on that understanding.
- Prepare analysis of client’s program for client presentation and/or producer’s review with use of insurance summaries and/or comprehensive and customized insurance proposals. Review and verify policies for requested coverage, correct information and proper pricing for new business, renewals, endorsements and audits.
- Maintain customer’s account on agency automation system, accurately documenting conversations in appropriate activity, sending confirmations to insured and adhering to all other automation procedures that are/become established.
- Actively refer clients to Benefits Planning Division and Personal Insurance Division for solicitation of new business.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of commercial coverage, systems and procedures, underwriting and risk management techniques and insurance products.
- Participate in training and seminar courses.
- 6 years of sales, marketing, or relationship management experience, required
- NYS Property & Casualty license, required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Has a good working knowledge of the insurance brokerage business and the assigned clients’ needs.
- Working towards a professional designation.
- Strong commitment to high quality service delivery.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to understand written and oral communication and interpret abstract information.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with others to explain complex issues, receive and interpret complex information and respond appropriately.
- Full knowledge of insurance products, usage, and markets.
- Ability to utilize computer systems and programs and understand functionality.
- Knowledge of insurance principles and procedures.
- Microsoft Office skills necessary.
- Time management, analytics, problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to participate in a Team Environment.
Apply for this position
Walsh Duffield complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit while using hands to use a computer or other technologies. The employee frequently is required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually light.
This job description is intended to describe the normal level of work required by the person performing the work. The principal duties outlined are the essential responsibilities and duties. Other duties may be assigned as needs rise, or as required.
This description is not intended as a contract and is subject to change. Any written contractual agreements supersede this job description. All requirements may be modified to accommodate physically or mentally challenged staff members reasonably.
Walsh Duffield Cos., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex orientation, national origin, genetic information, sex, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from diverse candidates, including those with disabilities.