Division: Group Benefits
Location: Buffalo, NY
The purpose of this position is to assist and support Benefit Producer and Service Team with large experience-rated clients by analyzing the financial condition of plans and products. The position will also coordinate the marketing and analysis of client plans to carriers and vendors. The position will focus on Medical and Dental coverages but will also include ancillary lines when required.
Agency specific training will be provided.
- Evaluate client data for the determination of recommended rates for client’s insurance products in a manner that is consistent with guidelines and sound underwriting principals
- Identify critical information to be analyzed that will allow client to better manage plan and control future costs
- Direct involvement with designing and developing custom reporting that the client may require
- Develop key underwriting processes and direct implementation of such processes within the company or within the context of affiliated organizations
- Organize a cohesive underwriting response to complex cases displaying quantitative insight into recommended effects on pricing
- Ability to monitor congruence of self-funded client’s financial performance with business plan and budgetary goals
- Work with Benefits Producers and Service team to make recommendations and draw conclusion based on data analysis for plan design changes, alternative funding recommendations, alternative employer contribution recommendations, wellness and create executive summaries
As a Benefits Analyst, major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review premium and claims data on a scheduled basis for each identified client
- Utilize reporting capabilities for each carrier and gather organized data provided
- Work with service team to develop information that will assist in creating effective Population Management Wellbeing programs
- Review renewals of identified clients and check for accuracy and consistency
- Identify opportunities to adjust renewal assumptions that will positively affect renewal
- Create request for proposals and submit to bidding vendors and carriers
- Answer carrier questions and obtain necessary information for quoting
- Analyze and organize carrier/vendor proposals and assist with negotiation
- Prepare analysis report and assist with presentation
- Prepare renewal and benefit documents for clients
- Assist the Service Team with client meetings, wellbeing initiatives and the Annual Benefits Seminar
- Responds to requests in a timely manner
- Special projects as assigned
- Cross train as needed
- Adhere to the stated expectations of the E&O Plus Quality Management Program
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience and current, applicable and quality references.
- Mathematics major and/or actuarial/statistics studies preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Current Life & Health license preferred (will be required within the first six months)
- Strong organizational, analytical skills and strong attention to detail
- Excellent troubleshooting, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Effective presentation skills supported by solid interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member
- Ability to multitask and successfully operate in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to prioritize projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to follow through on and successfully execute tasks while adhering to specified quality standards
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service and maintain positive relationships with client contacts
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Vice President, Director of Employee Benefits
FLSA Job Classification
Apply for this position
Walsh Duffield complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit while using hands to use a computer or other technologies. The employee frequently is required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The noise level in the work environment is usually light.
This job description is intended to describe the normal level of work required by the person performing the work. The principle duties outlined are the essential responsibilities and duties. Other duties may be assigned as needs rise, or as required.
This description is not intended as a contract and is subject to change. Any written contractual agreements supersede this job description. All requirements may be modified to accommodate physically or mentally challenged staff members reasonably.
Walsh Duffield Cos., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sex orientation, national origin, genetic information, sex, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from diverse candidates, including those with disabilities.